Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vintage Toy Lamp

TopToyLamp
A couple  months ago my brother and I decided to start a little business.  We both love finding old “stuff” and re-purposing it.  Over the years we’ve found that we have similar ways of seeing things, and when we see things differently, it only works to better our creations.  (At least we think so.)  We were doing all these things separately, but we both had issues.  With two small children, I was able to shop with my youngest while my son was in preschool.  Once a week she and I would go treasure hunting and find all sorts of great items.  But I had no time to devote to the re-purposing, as much as I love to do it.
My brother, on the other hand, loves a good project!  But finishing up his last year of grad school, he has no time to treasure hunt.  And after an a-ha moment one day, HIVE was born.  It’s our little business where we make all sorts of things for the home.
This is us:
JennyBear
Yes, that is a burp cloth hanging out of his back pocket.  (He’s a new dad, and a really hands-on one!)  And, yes, we are trying to look cool.
SO, Here is our first completed project!  And I must say, I love how it came out!
TopToyLamp
It was on one of our treasure hunts that my daughter and I stumbled onto this old tin toy.  It’s one of those spinning tops.  I don’t know the date for sure, but I’d guess it was a reproduction made to look old.  This is of benefit for two reasons.  1.  An original would likely have been worth more in it’s original state, and 2. Being reproduced, banged up and beaten, it had that vintage appeal while still maintaining it’s color and design.  I also found an old lamp for about $2 at a thrift store.   It was about the right scale, with all the right parts and working.  So I brought both pieces to my brother.
He called me the next day exasperated.  It had taken a ridiculous amount of time and effort to “gut” this toy of it’s workings.  Without damaging the toy, of course.  However, once that dirty work was done, he set about fitting all the pieces together.
TopToyLampBefore
He painted the wood disk that you see, and all the other lamp hardware a lime green.  The adorable finishing touch is the top (that was pushed up and down to make the toy spin) is now the part of the lamp that holds the shade in place.
Speaking of the shade, I’m working on that!  I found a great $2 shade in pristine shape at a yard sale, and am trimming it out with red grosgrain ribbon at the top and bottom.  I’ll post the picture once I have it finished.
Thanks!