Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guest Bath Vanity


I just couldn’t pass up an old 1927 sewing machine when I saw it at a local thrift store.  It was calling my name!  I loved the scrollwork on the wood, the feel of it.  Originally, I was mesmerized by the actual sewing machine and wanted to turn it into a desk lamp.  That’s another post.  But the furniture piece was also lovely, and begging to become something.  So, I began scouring Craigslist, thrift stores and yard sales trying to find the top of a pedestal sink.  You all think Bear has all the hard work!  (That’s my brother.)  But sometimes it takes a bit of time and effort for the sourcing.  That’s right folks.  I’m patting my own back here.  Not to mention, it’s not always the best feeling when I pull up to my brother’s workshop with the two pieces you see below and tell him I want them to somehow become… something.  Luckily, Bear has talent, vision, and he’s a bit longsuffering where I”m concerned as well.
1927FranklinSewingMachine1 1927FranklinSewingMachine2
And this is where I, Bear, pick up.  So here is the base of the sewing machine.  I should have taken a picture when the Sewing Machine was still attached.  Also, here’s the random sink that Jenny found at a thrift store with hideous brass hardware.
1927FranklinSewingMachine3 1927FranklinSewingMachine4 1927FranklinSewingMachine5
After taking off all the hardware and removing the sewing machine, I place the sink on top to see what I'm working with, and what modifications I need to make to the top of the base (I also removed the very top of the base which was on hinges that covered the sewing machine when it was put away. The top which is not shown here will be the finished top of the sink).  Because the sink is from a pedestal, it is not level from front to back, nor is it perfectly symmetrical. I will need to notch out the back (right) end of the wood top by the same amount as the gap seen here to make the sink level.  I measure the depth needed to cut into the wood…
1927FranklinSewingMachine6 1927FranklinSewingMachine7
I set the skill saw to the depth measured, and marked the area that needed to be cut.  I cut strips into the wood so that I could chisel them out.  The wood then breaks off at the correct depth.  And here is a close up of the wood once the chiseling is complete.
1927FranklinSewingMachine8 1927FranklinSewingMachine9
Now the sink fits and the top is now level. Since the new vanity sink will need to sit flush with the wall, the lip on the back end of the base was also cut to be flush with the back of the sink.  To make a template of the sink to cut out of the top piece of wood, I used paper and tape to surround the sink for a rough stencil.
1927FranklinSewingMachine10 1927FranklinSewingMachine11
1927FranklinSewingMachine12 1927FranklinSewingMachine13
This is the stencil on the top piece of wood. The top piece was previously hinged to the piece seen earlier and acted as a cover for the sewing machine. As you can see, the pedestal sink is not exactly symmetrical. I outlined the stencil with a carpenter's pencil.  I glued and screwed the top to the base of the sink.
1927FranklinSewingMachine14 1927FranklinSewingMachine15
Since I wanted the wood top to look like one solid piece, I used wood filler to fill the cracks. I had to make sure I used "stainable" wood filler since I was going to be refinishing the top.  Since I wanted the wood top to look like one solid piece, I used wood filler to fill the cracks. I had to make sure I used "stainable" wood filler since I was going to be refinishing the top.
1927FranklinSewingMachine16 1927FranklinSewingMachine17
The sink was completely disassembled and cleaned using a wire brush. There was a lot of scum build up around the faucets and drain.  Base painted an off white semi gloss. Top taped to protect the top for staining.
1927FranklinSewingMachine18 1927FranklinSewingMachine19
The drain was going to be more of a hassle to remove than necessary. So I taped around it so I could refinish the brass.  I used a high quality spray paint to refinish the brass fixtures, and then sealed the paint with a sealing spray.  I was amazed at how great a finish the product produced!
1927FranklinSewingMachine24
 1927FranklinSewingMachine20 1927FranklinSewingMachine23
1927FranklinSewingMachine21 1927FranklinSewingMachine22
This is the finished product. The top was sanded, re-stained, and sealed with polyurethane. The sink was placed into the top, and white silicone caulking was used to seal the sink to the top. All the hardware and front door were reattached.
PP2
So, now we’re debating… Should we sell it?  Or which of us gets to keep it?  I suppose it sort of defeats the purpose of our little business venture, if every time we make something, we want to keep it, right?  Oh, well.  On to the next project.  Thanks for stopping by!!
JennyBear
Jenny