Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Green Coffee Table

Here's a project that I'm in love with!  When I saw what Bear managed to create out of it, I was astounded!  I LOVE it!


Here's what we started with.  I found this old, dated coffee table on Craigslist for $5.  (I'm in charge of finding projects.)  It's solid wood, and I figured my brother (who is in charge of doing the projects) and I could do something with it.  But other than that, I didn't have anything in particular in mind.

GreenCoffeeTable3
If THAT was in my living room, I'd also be trying to get rid of it!  If its what's in YOUR living room, check out how it was transformed.
GreenCoffeeTable2
First the top was removed and the base was painted green.
GreenCoffeeTable5 GreenCoffeeTable4
I had left over rough cut wood with bark showing. So I decided to use this for the new top. I used a rotary sander with 60 grit sandpaper to smooth it out, and then cut the pieces to size.
GreenCoffeeTable6 GreenCoffeeTable7
I attached the unfinished top boards to the base with L brackets.
GreenCoffeeTable8 GreenCoffeeTable10
The top was stained with a dark walnut color stain.  The top was then sealed with a thick layer of poly-acrylic to really make the wood pop.
And one more look at the finished product...
PP1
We are so pleased with how it came out!  We are building up our inventory for our first ever HIVE sale at a local Antique/Flea Market.  On one hand we hope everything sells, and on the other, we're planning on where it should go in our own homes.  :o)  I hope you like it!  Even better, I hope you are inspired to make-over your own coffee tables.  It's so much fun!

JennyBear