Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dining Room Chair Redo

photo(30)

Sorry for the poor lighting!  I scored 4 of these chairs at a thrift store for $10!  That’s $2.50 each!!  They were so 1990, and they were falling apart.  You couldn’t sit on them, for fear you’d fall through.  But I liked the lines and I’d been looking for 4 chairs to go around a round table in my living room.  (For board games and such.)

photo(31)

I started by taking off the seats, sanding down the chairs, and tightening all the bolts.  Once that was done, I was satisfied that I’d actually bought some quality chairs.  They were super sturdy, and ready to be painted.

photo(28)

I bought some yellow spray paint and painted the entire chair.  I let it dry, and then came back and sanded it to give it a weathered look.  You can see in the picture above the yellow paint, the original white-washed paint, and the wood beneath.  I then came back with some brown shoe polish to add a little “aging” effect, accentuate the detail work, and bring out the wood tone.

photo(37)

I then took the cushion, and placed it face-down on my chosen fabric.  I first stapled the corners, and then the midpoints, and then worked my way around, pulling the fabric taught.

photo(35)

photo(33)

Once I had the fabric stapled all the way around, I added another row of staples to make sure it didn’t come loose. 

photo(32)

Finished seat.

photo(29)

I reattached the seat to the chair.

photo(30)

And, the finished project.

I’m so glad I chose yellow.  I was really worried about it when I got started, but decided to go for it.  My living room needed a little “pick-me-up” and I was a cheery yellow, coupled with a modern printed fabric would do the trick. 

They actually look great around our game table!  But of course the biggest accomplishment, for me, is starting AND finishing the project!

Thanks for stopping by!

Jenny